Thursday, November 6, 2008

Looking through my filing cabinet

I went through my filing cabinet yesterday in a futile attempt to find a poem I was sure I had copied down at some point. I do that, when I like a poem or a quote or a word. I take note of it, and scribble it down, and file it away. A friend had posted something on his bog, and I thought about the poem. I couldn't remember the title OR the poet. I did eventually find it, online, after many searches that came up empty:

In the Desert

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

--Stephen Crane


I did spend a long time digging around in my filing cabinet though. I found about twenty or thirty unfinished stories I had once started but never finished. I found lists of names, and ideas, and scribbles, and magazine cutouts and many other silly little things. I want to write again!
I signed up for NaNoWriMo, but I haven't written a word...and we're already a WEEK into November!

No comments:

Post a Comment